Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Making Paint I - Langridge Pigment

This is my first attempt at making paint. I used Langridge pigment and linseed oil for this trial. I have my own samples of rock that I would like to use in the future. For now, though, I thought I would stick to commercial pigment.

Materials

Langridge Raw Umber Green Pigment - 2 tsp
Langridge Refined Linseed Oil - 1 1/4 tsp
2 Palette Knives
Small Measuring Spoons
Muller and Glass Plate
37mL empty Paint Tube

Photo Documentation











The materials were purchased at Parkers Art Supply in Sydney. They have two locations now, the one at The Rocks has a larger selection and carries raw pigments. Langridge paint is new to me as it was not available in Boston or Chicago. I have only used it once, today, but it seems to be similar in quality to that of Gamblin Artist Colors, although I don't yet have research to support this. Overall, it was wonderful to make my own paint. I have begun a chart in which I will paint daily swatches of this paint to see how it ages.




No comments:

Post a Comment